Vilas County Wisconsin
Government Services

Marriage Licenses

When To Apply

Marriage Licenses can be applied for no more than 30 days prior to the marriage date. Both parties to the marriage must be present to
sign the license application.

Where To Apply

Residents of Wisconsin:
If both applicants are Wisconsin residents, they must apply together in the Wisconsin county where either party legally resides. They are then permitted to be married in any Wisconsin county.

Required Personal Information

Proof of residency must be presented. Please provide a picture driver's
license containing your current address.

Each applicant must present a Certified Copy of their birth certificate, listing the names of parents. A Certified Copy of a birth certificate can usually be obtained from the Register of Deeds of the county that the applicant was born in.
Other types or forms of birth certificates can no longer be accepted.

If you are unsure of your birth certificate, please check with your local county
applying for a marriage license.

If either applicant has been previously divorced, that person must present a copy of the judgement of divorce showing the date the divorce was final. This requirement only applies to the most recent divorce.
You must be divorced for at least 6 months to be married in Wisconsin.

Previously widowed applicants must present a copy of their former spouse's death certificate.

Both applicants must know their Social Security numbers.

Required General Information

You will need to provide the date that the marriage ceremony will take place.

You will need to provide the name, address and phone number of the official who will perform the marriage ceremony.

You will need to provide the name of the municipality that the marriage ceremony will take place in.


The marriage license application fee is $65.00 and includes a required 5 day waiting period. Both applicants then must return to sign the Marriage Certificate. This 5 day waiting period can be waived for an additional $25.00 fee.

Foreign Language: Documents in another language must have a certified translation. Persons who do not speak and/or understand English must bring an independent interpreter not related to either party when applying.


Please contact this office at
for further information or clarification of requirements.