Vilas County Wisconsin
Vilas County Commission on Aging Rules and Members
Contact the County Clerks office for an official copy of the Standing Rules.
STANDING RULES AND COMMITTEE DUTIES
THE VILAS COUNTY COMMISSION ON AGING COMMITTEE
- It shall be composed of not more than 12 members, a majority of whom are age 60 or over, and three of whom also serve on the County Board. Commission members are appointed by the County Board Chairperson and approved by the County Board and shall serve for terms of 3 years, pursuant to Wis. Stat. §46.82(4)(c). No member may serve more than 2 consecutive 3-year terms. They meet each month; and conduct their business pursuant to by laws which they have adopted.
- The primary duty is to develop and administer programs to serve older Americans. The purposes of these programs are to help older people maintain an independent and productive lifestyle, thereby preventing costly illness and premature institutionalization.
- It shall act as an advocate for older people, providing a mechanism through which their voices can be heard on issues which are important to them.
- It shall seek the most current information available on the distribution and condition of older people in the County and use this information in developing county policies which affect the elderly.
- It shall cooperate with the Area Agency on Aging and related public and private agencies so that programs for older people are coordinated rather than duplicated.
- It shall annually prepare a "County Plan and Budget" which describes programs to be undertaken and includes a detailed budget of projected federal, state and county general fund expenditures.
- Since most program funding is of state or federal origin, the Commission shall be knowledgeable about and shall observe relevant state and federal law in administering programs.
- Only County Board Supervisors who are member of this Commission may approve this Commission’s expenditure vouchers and give preliminary consideration to specific personnel problems in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stat. §19.85(1)(f).